Category Archives: News

Sir Elton John and David Furnish accept libel damages over ‘dog attack’ slur

Sir Elton John and David Furnish have accepted “significant” libel damages over a newspaper claim that their dog inflicted “Freddy Krueger-like injuries” on a child at a play date. The couple, who were not at London’s High Court today, brought proceedings against News Group Newspapers (NGN) over a front-page story in The Sun on Sunday in February. Their solicitor, Jenny Afia, told Mr Justice Nicklin that the item, captioned “Elton’s Dog Did This To My Girl”, also appeared on the Sun’s website and was picked up by a number of other publishers including the Mail Online, the Metro, the Mirror and the Evening Standard. She said: “The story described an incident at the claimants’ home at which a young child at a play date had been subjected to a serious attack by their dog, which...
Read more

Suge Knight admits manslaughter over fatal confrontation

Former rap mogul Marion “Suge” Knight has pleaded no contest to voluntary manslaughter after he ran over two men, killing one, nearly four years ago. The Death Row Records co-founder entered the plea on Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court and has agreed to serve 28 years in prison. Knight was charged with murder, attempted murder and hit-and-run after fleeing the scene of an altercation in January 2015 outside a Compton burger stand. Knight and a consultant on the NWA biopic Straight Outta Compton were involved in a fistfight that ended with Knight clipping the man with his pick-up truck and running over businessman Terry Carter, who died from his injuries. Knight’s lawyers have said he was acting in self-defence and was fleeing armed attackers when he ran over Carter and Sloan. During Thursday’s hearing,...
Read more

Inquest hears three generations of family killed in ‘horror’ crash in Mayo

A jury has returned verdicts of accidental death at inquests arising from a car crash that claimed the lives of three generations of the same family in Co Mayo last year. Mary Ann Wilson, 67, her 39-year-old daughter, Marcella, and her six-year-old son, Sean, died when the car they were travelling in collided with a truck on the N17 outside Claremorris on 11 September 2017. All three suffered traumatic head injuries and died at the scene. One of those who saw the incident, John Fallon from Ballindine, said "everything happened in an instant", when he saw something impacting with the side of the truck being driven along the N17 by Mr Tierney. The car went under the truck and emerged seconds later. The inquest heard how witnesses and emergency service personnel worked to assist the occupants...
Read more

Commission calls for new judicial guidelines for personal injury claims

New judicial guidelines for personal injury claims have been recommended as "a matter of urgency" by an official report. Compensation for 'whiplash' claims here are running at 4.4 times the level in Britain according to the Personal Injuries Commission. The Commission found that the average soft tissue award is €17,338 compared to just €3,984 in Britain. Commission chairman Justice Nicholas Kearns stated in his second and final report, that while genuine claimants need adequate compensation, the negative impact of high premiums on businesses and consumers had to be recognised. Justice Kearns said awards here are a "stark multiple" of that in other countries. He said "the multiple that has emerged in the benchmarking process is so significant that the Commission is satisfied that it calls for a response that is effective and achievable in the...
Read more

Ruth Morrissey’s cervical-smear test case adjourned to next year

Limerick woman Ruth Morrissey, who is terminally ill with cancer, has had her case over an alleged misreading of her cervical smear tests adjourned to next year at the High Court. The move came after Mr Justice Kevin Cross who had expected to resume hearing the case today heard that causation is now seriously in issue. One of the laboratories being sued now asserts that the cancer from which the mother is suffering and which was diagnosed in 2014 has nothing to do with her smear tests. Ruth Morrissey and her husband Paul are suing over cervical smears taken under the CervicalCheck screening programme in 2009 and 2012. The case will resume before the High Court on January 29, 2019. Ms Morrissey’s senior counsel Jeremy Maher SC today said that the new assertion by one...
Read more

Lisa Armstrong to file for divorce from Ant McPartlin on grounds of adultery

Lisa Armstrong is said to be filing for divorce from estranged husband Ant McPartlin on grounds of adultery. Ant and Lisa publicly announced their split in January of this year, having secretly ended their relationship a couple of months prior. As of yet they have still not officially filed divorce papers, however, it’s been claimed that Lisa is now looking to file on the grounds of adultery as Ant has now moved on with former PA Anne-Marie Corbett. His team maintains the relationship started after he and Lisa called time on theirs. Anne-Marie will reportedly be named in the documents, and it’s thought Ant is considering not contesting in a bid to speed the process along, Ant and Lisa are said to be in talks with their respective legal teams about reaching a deal. It...
Read more

Katie Hopkins ‘On Brink Of Bankruptcy’ Following Libel Loss

Controversial media personality Katie Hopkins has allegedly applied for an insolvency arrangement in a last ditch attempt to avoid bankruptcy, after piling up debts. In 2017, Hopkins lost a libel case against the food blogger Jack Monroe after sending two tweets in which she implied that Monroe supported the vandalism of a war memorial. The court ordered Hopkins to pay £24,000 in damages and £107,000 in legal costs within 28 days. Hopkins’ Daily Mail column and LBC show both ended this year by “mutual consent” and she put her £1million Exeter mansion on the market in February this year, selling it for £950,000 within three weeks. Monroe tweeted the claim that Hopkins had entered an insolvency arrangement to pay the rest of...
Read more

Una Healy says her ‘life has been turned upside down’ after divorce

Una Healy has broken her silence following her split from husband Ben Foden, saying her "life has been turned upside down". The Saturdays star confirmed that she and rugby player Foden were parting ways after six years of marriage in July. The couple share two children together, Aoife, six, and Tadhg, three. The singer has now commented on their break-up for the first time in an interview with Hello! magazine. "My life has been turned upside down and I’m trying to figure it out," she said. "I’m taking each day as it comes and just being there for my children." The news of their split came just days before the family were set to move to New York after Ben landed a contract with Rugby United New York. Healy says she her priority now is raising her two young children. "I'm so lucky...
Read more

British couple killed by E. Coli at five star Egyptian hotel

British couple John and Susan Cooper died after contracting E. Coli, it has been confirmed. The couple had been had been staying at the five star Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in the Red Sea resort of Hurghada. John and Susan, from Burnley, Lancashire, died within hours of each other while staying with their daughter, Kelly Ormerod. John, 69, died in front of his horrified daughter Kelly before 64-year-old Susan was rushed to hospital where she later passed away. Last week it emerged that around 200 people have lodged complaints against the hotel with tour operator Thomas Cook. Authorities in Egypt had claimed the couple died of natural causes but Kelly said she thought there was ‘something suspicious’ behind their deaths. She was earlier pictured returning to the UK, landing at Manchester Airport in the early hours...
Read more

Conor McGregor sued by UFC fighter after Brooklyn bus attack

MIXED MARTIAL ARTIST Michael Chiesa has filed a lawsuit against his fellow UFC lightweight Conor McGregor following the Irishman’s attack on a bus at Barclays Center, Brooklyn, back in April. The 30-year-old filed the suit in Kings County, California on Monday, five months after McGregor’s barrage of the bus left him with cuts on his face and cost him a significant paycheck as he was forced to withdraw from his fight versus Anthony Pettis at UFC 223. Chiesa’s lawsuit seeks unspecified damages but claims McGregor caused him physical injuries, economic loss and emotional distress. It also lists Barclay’s Center as a defendant, claiming that the arena failed to “engage in proper security measures to protect the plaintiff.” Upon accepting a plea deal for his role in April’s incident, McGregor was given five days of...
Read more