Category Archives: Health & Safety

Woman who was given incorrect test result now seriously ill

A 52-year-old woman who claims she was given the incorrect result for a breast cancer gene test eight years ago is now seriously ill with ovarian cancer, the High Court has heard. It is claimed the report from the testing laboratory showed a pathogenic change of the BRCA 1 gene, but in a letter sent to the woman and her treating doctor on 27 January 2010 it was incorrectly stated the breast cancer gene was normal. The woman, whose youngest child is ten years old, has claimed she has suffered a loss of chance and the opportunity to take and seek medical advice to mitigate her risk of developing cancer. She has further claimed if she had been made aware of the mutation and pathogenic change of the BRCA 1 gene in January...
Read more

N7 workers who were treated “appallingly” by employers awarded more than €1m

The High Court has awarded more than €1m damages and interest to a group of Portuguese workers who claimed they lived in “terrible conditions” at a “work camp” provided by his former employers when they were building a section of the N7 motorway in 2007 and 2008.

The award was made by Justice Carmel Stewart who said the workers were “treated appallingly by their employers”. 

Noting that the workers had been working in Ireland for periods up to two years the Judge said that “it beggars belief that their ordeal could have lasted for so long”.

The 20 workers claimed they were underpaid while working for three Portuguese companies, called the RAC Eire Partnership, that were contracted to construct the section of motorway between Limerick...

Read more

Husband and son awarded €650,000 for shock after mum died following C-section

The husband and son of a woman who died at the National Maternity Hospital hours after undergoing an emergency Caesarean section to deliver her baby have settled for €650,000 their High Court action for nervous shock. Nora Hyland (31) a Malaysian woman who was living at Charlotte Quay in Dublin 4 at the time, died on the operating table at the National Maternity Hospital (NMH), Holles Street, on February 13, 2012, within three hours of undergoing an emergency Caesarean section to deliver her son Frederick. Mr Hyland claimed he suffered severe and profound nervous shock, upset and mental distress as a result of what happened. The claims were denied. Approving the settlement Mr Justice Kevin Cross sympathised with the Hyland family on their loss. At the time of the inquest in 2014, Mr Hyland...
Read more

Baby died after contracting cold sore virus – inquest

A 12-day-old girl died after contracting the common cold sore virus in hospital days after birth. Eibhlín Wills acquired the infection in the first five days of her life, an inquest into her death heard. Blood tests showed no sign of the infection three days after birth but the infection was present in samples taken when Eibhlín was five days old. Dublin Coroner Dr Myra Cullinane found the infant died due to a hospital-acquired infection. The family described the loss of their precious baby as an "unspeakable horror". "For the past three years we have had to live with the unspeakable horror of losing our baby girl to an entirely preventable disease. "While it has been extremely painful to go through the details again ... today's verdict gives us the opportunity to again warn the public...
Read more

Family receive €12,500 settlement after ‘medical debris’ left in infant’s throat following surgery

The family of a young boy who was left with medical debris in his throat following a surgery have received €12,500 in compensation. Jill Crawford told the court in an affidavit how her baby had gagged and retched at home as he tried to breathe through thick mucus saliva. “He was so unwell that our family clergyman drove half the length of Donegal to be with him and was shocked to see how low he was,” Crawford said. O’Neill said that from medical reports it was revealed that a throat pack had not been inserted in Bobby’s throat during the initial surgery to prevent saliva, blood and other surgical debris from tracking down in the pharynx and respiratory tract. As a consequence of pink alginate gel having entered his airway and remaining there on...
Read more

Girl, 14, who claims she suffered shoulder injury at birth settles case for €425,000

A 14-year old girl who claimed she suffered a severe shoulder injury at birth has settled her High Court action for €425,000. Amy Hutchinson the High Court heard has difficulty riding a bicycle and a problem carrying her schoolbag as a result of the the injury to her right shoulder and arm. Amy Hutchinson Mullaharlin Park, Dundalk, Co Louth had through her mother Amanda Hutchinson sued the HSE over the injury including Erb's Palsy she claimed she sustained during her delivery at the Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda, Co Louth on July 19,2004. She claimed there was an alleged failure to manage the Ms Hutchinson's pregnancy properly and an alleged failure to forsee the risks of shoulder dystocia. She further claimed there was an alleged failure once shoulder dystocia had been suspected or...
Read more

Ryder Cup spectator loses her eye after being hit by Brooks Koepka shot

The spectator whom Brooks Koepka hit with a tee shot at the Ryder Cup is considering legal action against the tournament’s organisers after losing the sight in one eye.

One of Koepka’s drives on the opening day of the tournament flew towards the crowd and hit Corine Remande. “Doctors told me I had lost the use of that eye,” the 49-year-old told Agence France-Presse. “It happened so fast, I didn’t feel any pain when I was hit. I didn’t feel like the ball had struck my eye and then I felt the blood start to pour. The scan on Friday confirmed a fracture of the right eye-socket and an explosion of the eyeball.”

Koepka was quick to make his way over to the crowd and apologise to Remande, who...

Read more

Elderly Irish woman, 91, died after being scalded by tea

An elderly woman developed sepsis after she was scalded by tea spilled on her lap while out to lunch. Daphne Anderson, 91, died after she sustained third degree burns over 6% of her body but didn’t immediately report it. An inquest into her death, previously adjourned after the woman’s daughter called for the exhumation of her body for a fresh autopsy, concluded at Dublin Coroner’s Court with a narrative verdict. Her daughter Audrey Anderson had instructed her legal team to make the court aware her preference was for a verdict of medical misadventure which she claimed was “more accurate”. She was admitted to the Bon Secours Hospital before being transferred to the specialist burns unit at St James’s Hospital on December 3. She was treated with antibiotics and intravenous fluids and improved until December...
Read more

Psychiatric nurse sentenced over Galway syringe assault

A 48-year-old psychiatric nurse has been sentenced to twelve months in prison for assaulting another nurse with a syringe filled with sedating, anti-psychotic medication. Kofi Kankam - with an address at 15 The Clarin, Athenry, Co Galway -  denied a charge of assaulting Emer Hyland, causing her harm, at the Psychiatric Unit at University Hospital Galway, on 5 February last year. Nurse Hyland, who is in her twenties, told the hearing at Galway District Court today that gardaí came into the male ward with a patient that evening who was very unwell. She was dealing with another patient at the time who had absconded. She was sitting in the nurse's station having just got off the phone from speaking to security about that patient when she suddenly felt a sharp pinch in her...
Read more

Teen now needs hand held when crossing road after accident

A JUDGE has rejected an offer for a personal injury claim worth almost €9,000 after hearing that a teenage girl has to hold someone’s hand while crossing the road following a traffic collision in Limerick. At a Limerick Civil Court sitting at Merchant’s Quay, Judge Gerald Keys, presiding, heard that a girl and her mother were struck by a car while crossing a road in Dooradoyle on March 9, 2017. The plaintiff, who cannot be named because she is a minor, was represented by Michael Purtill BL, who stated that an offer of €8,787 was too low. The court heard that the plaintiff suffered injuries to her neck, her right and left shoulders and elbows, and her hip. Click here to visit our Personal Injury Claims page if you've been affected by any...
Read more