Category Archives: Food Poisoning

The parents of a Sligo girl, who died in hospital after taking ill in a restaurant, are suing the HSE

THE PARENTS OF a Sligo student who died suddenly in 2017 are suing the HSE. 19-year-old Lisa Niland, a native of Curry in the western county and a student at the University of Limerick, took ill while eating in a fast food restaurant in Carraroe in January 2017. It’s understood that she first attended Sligo University Hospital for a number of days before transferring to Beaumont Hospital in Dublin by air ambulance, where she passed away on 20 January. The cause of her death has not been made public. Last week her parents, Angela and Gerry Niland, launched separate High Court proceedings against the HSE, as opposed to an individual hospital. The nature of the lawsuits are as yet unclear. Damien Tansey Solicitors of Sligo, who describe themselves as specialists in medical negligence and personal injury claims, are...
Read more

Pret A Manger was warned over allergy alerts year before girl’s death, inquest told

Pret A Manger did not label “artisan” baguettes as containing sesame seeds despite six allergic reaction cases in the year before a teenager’s death, an inquest has heard. Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, 15, suffered a fatal reaction to a sandwich from the outlet, which she had not realised contained the ingredient, on July 17 2016. An inquest at West London Coroner’s Court was told the packaging failed to mention that sesame seeds were “hidden” in the dough. On Tuesday, it emerged that a “specific warning” about the dangers of not signposting the allergen had been given to the food chain the previous year. Pret baguettes described as “posh” or “artisan” were said to contain sesame seeds, including the artichoke, olive and tapenade one that Natasha ate. A complaint log for the company from between July 17, 2015...
Read more

British couple killed by E. Coli at five star Egyptian hotel

British couple John and Susan Cooper died after contracting E. Coli, it has been confirmed. The couple had been had been staying at the five star Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in the Red Sea resort of Hurghada. John and Susan, from Burnley, Lancashire, died within hours of each other while staying with their daughter, Kelly Ormerod. John, 69, died in front of his horrified daughter Kelly before 64-year-old Susan was rushed to hospital where she later passed away. Last week it emerged that around 200 people have lodged complaints against the hotel with tour operator Thomas Cook. Authorities in Egypt had claimed the couple died of natural causes but Kelly said she thought there was ‘something suspicious’ behind their deaths. She was earlier pictured returning to the UK, landing at Manchester Airport in the early hours...
Read more