Monthly Archives: November 2018

Husband and son awarded €650,000 for shock after mum died following C-section

The husband and son of a woman who died at the National Maternity Hospital hours after undergoing an emergency Caesarean section to deliver her baby have settled for €650,000 their High Court action for nervous shock. Nora Hyland (31) a Malaysian woman who was living at Charlotte Quay in Dublin 4 at the time, died on the operating table at the National Maternity Hospital (NMH), Holles Street, on February 13, 2012, within three hours of undergoing an emergency Caesarean section to deliver her son Frederick. Mr Hyland claimed he suffered severe and profound nervous shock, upset and mental distress as a result of what happened. The claims were denied. Approving the settlement Mr Justice Kevin Cross sympathised with the Hyland family on their loss. At the time of the inquest in 2014, Mr Hyland...
Read more

De Niro and wife ‘split after 21 years of marriage’

Oscar-winning actor Robert De Niro and his wife of more than 20 years, Grace Hightower, have reportedly separated. Page Six first reported that the couple are no longer living together and are expected to announce their split shortly. They were last seen on the red carpet in June when they attended the 72nd Annual Tony Awards in New York City. The couple wed in 1997 and have two children - 20-year-old son Elliott and 6-year-old daughter Helen Grace. De Niro and Hightower previously parted ways, with the Taxi Driver actor filing for divorce in 1999 and engaging in a custody battle over their son. They smoothed things over and renewed their vows in 2004, with Martin Scorsese, Meryl Streep and Ben Stiller attending as guests. A divorce can be a very stressful time, but we are...
Read more

Family of ‘severely scalded’ 90-year-old woman awarded €54,000 in damages from nursing home

THE FAMILY OF a 90-year-old woman who, they claim, died as a result of scald injuries she suffered in a Co Dublin nursing home, have been awarded just over €54,000 damages for their own pain and suffering, loss, funeral and travel expenses arising from the tragic death of their mother and granny. Barrister Frank Crean told Circuit Court President, Raymond Groarke today that the deceased, Olive Sheeran, suffered severe scalding of her buttocks, left thigh and calf, heels and ankles when a water bottle burst in her bed. Crean, who appeared with John McCarthy of McCarthy Solicitors Clonakilty, Co Cork, said SRCW Limited, the operators of Ferndene Nursing Home, Deansgrange Road, Blackrock, Co Dublin, had agreed to pay the family €54,406 damages as assessed by The Injuries Board. He said Carol Hayes, of Corabally, Ardfield, Clonakilty, Co...
Read more

Hospital apologises to couple whose baby daughters died for issuing incorrect genetic report

Our Lady's Children's Hospital, Crumlin, has apologised to a couple for the shortcomings in care provided to them and that an incorrect genetic report was issued to them. The couple sued in the High Court for nervous shock in the case which centred on genetic screening and chromosomal abnormalities involving two of their children. In the High Court today Mr Justice Kevin Cross was told the case could be struck out. The terms of the settlement in relation to both cases of nervous shock are confidential. The couple's counsel, Dr John O'Mahony SC, read out a letter of apology to the couple from the chief executive of Our Lady's Children's Hospital, Crumlin, Sean Walsh. It stated: "I wish to again reiterate the apology contained in the Review Report of August 4, 2017, to you...
Read more

Ben Affleck reportedly returns to rehab post-divorce

Ben Affleck has reportedly checked back into rehab. The bad news comes just days after the actor finalized his divorce from wife Jennifer Garner following his 40-day stint last month in a Malibu rehab facility. According to a source for The Mirror, Affleck, 46, has allegedly told friends that he needs to continue treatment for several more months to work on his sobriety. He has previously admitted to having problems with alcohol. “He was going to move out and become an outpatient – but he’s checked back in,” the source claimed to The Mirror. “He will stay most nights in the clinic.” The insider added, “This is not just a disease you cure in one go. Ben has and will always be working hard to get better. He wants to work, see his children and focus...
Read more

Chris Pratt and Anna Faris settle divorce, agreed joint custody of their son

Chris Pratt and Anna Faris have settled their divorce and agreed to share custody of their six-year-old son. The pair married in 2009 before splitting eight years later. The details of their divorce have now been revealed. Parks And Recreation star Pratt, 39, and Scary Movie actress Faris, 41, have agreed on a “flexible timeshare” over their son Jack and will also live no further than five miles apart until the child completes sixth grade, according to court documents. If either party plans on moving outside the agreed limit, they must provide the other with written notice. Both waived claims to spousal support having signed a prenuptial agreement before they tied the knot in July 2009. Child support was also set to zero, the document shows. Both parents will contribute to a joint bank account for...
Read more

Renowned musician Mícheál Ó Súilleabháin dies aged 67

Renowned musician, composer and academic, Professor Mícheál Ó Súilleabháin, has died aged 67. In a statement, the university said: "[Mícheál] Ó Súilleabháin left a rich legacy through his own music, as well as the academy he founded which attracted students from over 50 countries." He was celebrated for his fusion of Irish traditional and classical music, in particular for his unique style of piano playing. He is survived by his wife Professor Helen Phelan and their son Luke; sons Eoin and Mícheál (Moley), their mother Dr Nóirín Ní Rian, and his brother John. Everyone should prepare a will to avoid unnecessary stress for loved ones. Visit our helpful Wills and Probate page here. Source: RTE...
Read more

State lost €31m by overpaying in five property deals

More than €31 million of taxpayers’ money was overpaid by the Office of Public Works (OPW) in five property deals over a four-year period, an internal report has found.

Completed last year by two surveyors working for the OPW, the report has since been sent by OPW management to the Comptroller and Auditor General and has recently been sent to the Oireachtas Public Accounts Committee (PAC).

The unpublished report, seen by The Irish Times, concluded the Civil Service culture in the OPW was resulting in “poor value for money outcomes”. It claimed there was “considerable potential for corruption to arise in property transactions” conducted by the OPW, because waste of funds “is tolerated within the system”.

The five transactions examined by the surveyors, one of whom has...

Read more

High Court awards man €66k for fall at work

A man who suffered injuries to his shoulder, hip and knee after he tripped at the entrance of where he worked has been awarded over €66,000 in damages by the High Court. The award was made by Mr Justice Denis McDonald in favour of Mr Colie Conneely, who the judge said suffered "a very nasty injury" following a fall that occurred at the entrance of the Thermo King factory in Galway on 17, 2014, when he was returning from lunch. Mr Conneely claimed he tripped after his foot struck a lip between the top of a paving slab and the top of an adjoining concrete channel next to the entrance to the factory building. He had worked at the factory for more than 30 years. The Judge said he was satisfied that the...
Read more

Baby died after contracting cold sore virus – inquest

A 12-day-old girl died after contracting the common cold sore virus in hospital days after birth. Eibhlín Wills acquired the infection in the first five days of her life, an inquest into her death heard. Blood tests showed no sign of the infection three days after birth but the infection was present in samples taken when Eibhlín was five days old. Dublin Coroner Dr Myra Cullinane found the infant died due to a hospital-acquired infection. The family described the loss of their precious baby as an "unspeakable horror". "For the past three years we have had to live with the unspeakable horror of losing our baby girl to an entirely preventable disease. "While it has been extremely painful to go through the details again ... today's verdict gives us the opportunity to again warn the public...
Read more