Monthly Archives: October 2018

€5.9m settlement for man who lost sight due to Medical Negligence

The High Court has approved a settlement of €5.9m in the case of a man who went blind because of mistakes in his medical treatment. Brendan Doyle, 49, had a mild disability since his birth but had lived almost independently with some supports. However in June 2011 a shunt to drain fluid from his brain became infected and was removed at Beaumont Hospital. He was discharged home without the shunt being replaced. As a result, his condition deteriorated and he lost his sight. His lawyers told the High court the tragic consequences of the error was that he is now totally blind. They said Mr Doyle had been able to cope reasonably well with his pre-existing disabilities but this was "the final straw". He had to move out of his accommodation and live in a nursing home which he...
Read more

Laois woman leaves €30m to five charities in her will

The Irish Kidney Association has said it used some of the €6m bequeathed to it by a Co Laois woman to buy a house in Co Cork. Elizabeth O'Kelly, 92, from Stradbally, donated €30m to five charities in a massive windfall for the sector. Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, IKA Chief Executive Mark Murphy said the house, which backs onto the campus of Cork University Hospital, will be converted into a support centre for patients who do not need to be in hospital. The Irish Kidney Association is also negotiating with the Health Service Executive to see if a dialysis unit in Tramore can be completed. Mr Murphy said the association has also donated money to renal medical research and "given them promises for the next five years." He added that "there's a long way to go, it's a lot of...
Read more

High Court awards factory worker more than €220k for fall while trying to free trapped bin

A factory operative who suffered a severe ankle injury when he fell to the ground as he tried to free a trapped bin has been awarded over €220,000 by the High Court. Tomasz Zdejszy fell from a height of about two metres to the ground landing on his right foot in the accident six years ago. Mr Justice Michael Hanna assessed there was 20% contributory negligence on the part of Mr Zdejszy as he did not exercise sufficient care for his own safety. Tomasz Zdejszy, Castlecurragh Heath, Mulhuddart, Dublin had sued his employer Stewart Foil Ltd of Rosemount Business Park, Blanchardstown, Dublin and Panda Waste Services Ltd with offices at Newbridge House, Athlumney, Navan, Co Meath which was responsible for a waste collection at Stewart Foil Ltd. He claimed on April 13, 2012 he...
Read more

Asamoah Gyan files for divorce; demands DNA test to determine he is kids’ father

Ghanaian footballer and captain of the Ghana Black Stars, Asamoah Gyan has allegedly filed for divorce from his wife, Gifty Gyan, at the Divorce and Matrimonial Division of the High Court, Accra. The footballer has also denied fathering their three children and is demanding a DNA test to be carried out on all three to ascertain if he is the father of the children. GhanaWeb.com is reliably informed that Gyan and his wife Gifty have not seen eye to eye in the last few months, but the desire of the Black Stars captain to officially terminate the five-year marriage is a clear indication that their differences have now become irreconcilable. The news outlet is also reliably informed that the footballer, who filed for divorce in August this year is currently making preparation to...
Read more

Family receive €12,500 settlement after ‘medical debris’ left in infant’s throat following surgery

The family of a young boy who was left with medical debris in his throat following a surgery have received €12,500 in compensation. Jill Crawford told the court in an affidavit how her baby had gagged and retched at home as he tried to breathe through thick mucus saliva. “He was so unwell that our family clergyman drove half the length of Donegal to be with him and was shocked to see how low he was,” Crawford said. O’Neill said that from medical reports it was revealed that a throat pack had not been inserted in Bobby’s throat during the initial surgery to prevent saliva, blood and other surgical debris from tracking down in the pharynx and respiratory tract. As a consequence of pink alginate gel having entered his airway and remaining there on...
Read more

Girl left with scar after falling from climbing frame at Dublin crèche awarded €27,500

A teenage girl who was injured at a Giraffe crèche ten years ago has been awarded €27,500 damages in the Circuit Civil Court. Barrister Matthew Jolley told the court today Tuesday that 14 year-old Caoilfhionn O’Donnell was only four when she fell from a climbing frame at the Giraffe Crèche at Cherrywood, Loughlinstown, Co Dublin. He said Caoilfhionn, who sued through her father Ian O’Donnell, of Portland Road, Greystones, Co Wicklow, was now almost 15 and had suffered an injury to her head that had left a scar that was now quite pale. “There is a specific lack of information as to how the incident occurred at the time but Caoilfhionn’s case is that there was a lack of supervision in the climbing room,” Jolley said. Jolley told Judge Ní Chulachain that there was...
Read more

Ant McPartlin’s divorce ‘to get messy’ with fears soon-to-be ex wife may go public over issues

I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Our of Here presenter Ant McPartlin has been in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons lately, and his friends fear there's more to come. According to the Mirror , the star's friends fear his divorce from make-up artist Lisa Armstrong is set to get messy.

-->