Monthly Archives: July 2017

Tallaght woman warns others after hoverboard bursts into flames

A local woman has urged anyone who buys a hoverboard, even from a reputable seller, to be careful after one exploded just three weeks after it was purchased. The toy had been bought from a well-known supplier and had been CE certified, but as it was charging on Friday night it burst into flames, leaving a huge amount of damage in the woman’s Terenure home. There were four people in the house at the time, but thankfully none were injured, however, the house will need extensive work due to the damage. Speaking to Echo.ie a friend of the family from Tallaght, who had bought the hoverboard as a present, said it was lucky there was someone awake in the house when it happened and could alert the...
Read more

Sinéad O’Connor being sued for breach of contract

Singer Sinéad O'Connor is being sued by her former manager Fachtna Ó Ceallaigh and his company for alleged breach of contract and defamation. The action is brought by both Mr Ó Ceallaigh and TAL Management Limited, a company he owns and controls which it is claims provided managerial services to the singer for several years for an agreed monthly fee plus commission and expenses. In 2011 he claims the company was substituted for him under a new agreement. While it was not executed it is claimed the parties performed the terms of the new agreement. In April 2012 he claims that without warning the singer terminated the agreement. Source: RTE...
Read more

Justin Bieber behind the wheel in minor car accident

Justin Bieber was behind the wheel at the time of a minor car accident in Beverly Hills which saw a photographer hit by the singer's pickup truck. The accident occurred when Bieber was leaving a church service on Wednesday night with the right front wheel of his pickup hitting the photographer in the leg. Source: RTE...
Read more

Rugby player can’t remember his daughter after brain injury

A Queensland country rugby league player from Australia who forgot he had a three-week-old child after a crunching tackle is suing an opposition team for $1.4 million. He claims an illegal 2014 hit left him brain damaged. Liam Cullen, 32, was playing for central Queensland’s Roma and District League team St. George when he was knocked out in a collision with a player from the opposing team, Roma Cities. According to a statement of claim lodged in the Brisbane Supreme Court, the Roma Cities player struck him “without warning.” In the landmark claim, the father-of-three is seeking the million dollar plus payout, from both the club and the player, to cover loss of income and medical costs. He claims he has been left with just 80 percent brain...
Read more

Girl left disabled after premature birth settles for €2.1m

A teenage girl who sued over the circumstances of her premature birth at a Limerick maternity hospital has settled her High Court action against the HSE on terms including an initial payout of €2.1 million. Katie McGuane and her twin brother were born prematurely in November 2003 but Katie’s twin died six days later, her counsel Dr John O’Mahony SC said. Katie is partially deaf with epilepsy and physical and mental impairment, he said. His side contended there were two omissions in her mother’s care. A urine specimen was not examined and, had it been, that would have shown an infection which could have been treated, he said. The second omission was full dilation was not diagnosed and steroids were not given which would have been beneficial to the babies, counsel said. Through her...
Read more

Alex Reid taking legal action against Katie Price

The 42-year-old cage fighter is furious after his ex-wife revealed earlier this week she has shown "disgusting" pictures and videos of him to her friends and believes that he is a victim of a revenge porn offence. He told the Sunday People newspaper: "I have reported her. Enough is enough. "After seven years of bullying, harassment and threats I've had enough. I've been persecuted and it has to stop somewhere." Alex claims 39-year-old Katie - who filed for divorce from him in January 2011 after just 11 months of marriage - has broken promises she made when they split by showing the footage to other people. He added: "She has signed all sorts of things, admitted in front of lawyers and barristers and the law. "She was someone I loved. She was someone I shared...
Read more

Dan Aykroyd threatening legal action over hot sauce bottle

Bobby and Rosie Powers launched Bloody Hell Hot Sauce in 2014 and approached the Ghostbusters star about a collaboration with his Crystal Head Vodka line. The Powers wanted to team up for a skull-themed Bloody Mary collaboration, but Aykroyd's team reportedly fired off a legal letter accusing the British couple of trademark infringement as their bottle is in the shape of a skull. They also requested the Powers destroy the 10,000 bottles they have already had made. "I can't believe this big company is trying to shut down a small family business on the Isle of Wight," Bobby says. "They don't just want us to stop selling our sauce, they want us to destroy absolutely everything. When I read the letter, I was physically sick. It's so unfair. So many products are...
Read more

Madonna auction stopped by court

"I became aware through media reports that there was a planned auction of extremely personal, private correspondence I received from a former boyfriend, the late recording artist and actor Tupac Shakur," Madonna wrote in her affidavit. "I was shocked to learn of the planned auctioning of the Shakur Letter, as I had no idea that the Shakur Letter was no longer in my possession. I have never sold, gifted, transferred or otherwise disposed of the Shakur Letter." Madonna went on to reveal she suspects her former friend, art consultant Darlene Lutz, may have stolen the artefacts from her home. "It seems obvious that Defendant Lutz betrayed my trust in an outrageous effort to obtain my possessions without my knowledge or consent and now attempts to profit by auctioning off my personal belongings...
Read more

€15m settlement for boy brain damaged at birth

The High Court has approved a €15m settlement for a boy who was brain damaged at birth due to alleged medical negligence. Jack Leane, through his mother Annette Leane, Lawlor’s Cross, Killarney, Co Kerry, sued consultant obstetrician and gynaecologist Barbara Kerkhoff, of Cork University Hospital (CUH), and the HSE over his care and treatment before and during his birth at CUH on August 11, 2008.
Read more

Former Miss Cork narrowly avoids serious injury at Longitude

A young model from Cork narrowly avoided a serious eye injury after she was struck on the head by a glass bottle at the Longitude music festival in Dublin last Friday. Katie O’Donoghue (24) was left with nine stitches on her forehead after a glass beer bottle was thrown through the crowd at the Stormzy headline gig in Marlay Park on Friday. The former Miss Cork, who has been working as a model since she was 18, says the swelling to her head and scarring from the incident means she will be unable to work in the industry for the foreseeable future. “I went to Electric Picnic last year and have been to festivals abroad but never thought anything like this could happen. I have no idea who threw the bottle. I’m still getting headaches on...
Read more