Boy (4) settles birth injury case against HSE for €17.2 million

Boy (4) settles birth injury case against HSE for €17.2 million

A 4-year old boy who sued over the circumstances of his birth at Midwestern Regional Maternity Hospital, Limerick has settled his High Court action with a final lump sum payment of €15.5million.

This brings to €17.2million the total paid out to Charlie Enright from Co Limerick who has cerebral palsy and who has a significant physical disability and has to use a wheelchair.

The total of €17.2million for Charlie Enright approved today by the President of the High Court, Mr Justice Peter Kelly, is believed to be highest ever for a catastrophically injured person who sued over the circumstances of their birth.

Approving the settlement Mr Justice Kelly praised Charlie’s parents Caitriona and Anthony Enright and said his care was a ’family affair’ and the whole extended family had got together to care for a remarkable boy.

Two years ago, Charlie settled his case against the HSE with a first interim payment of €1.75million to cover his needs for two years.

Charlie’s counsel Liam Reidy SC today said the family were grateful to the HSE for the early admission of liability in the case.

Charlie Enright of Raheen, Ballyneety Co Limerick had sued, through his mother Catriona, the HSE in relation to his birth at the Limerick hospital in August 2013.

The boy's mother had been admitted to the Limerick hospital at 37 weeks in to her pregnancy on August 19, 2013. A decision was made to induce labour after several tests were carried out.

In his action, it was claimed in the events that followed, there was a breach of duty with an alleged failure to provide an appropriate standard of care during the labour and up to the time of Charlie's birth on August 20, 2013.

Tallaght Solicitors are Medical Negligence Claims Specialists, so if you have been affected by the issues raised in this story, please visit our Medical Negligence page.

Read the full story at Independent.ie